Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The 2nd Step... oh my goodness!

After submitting my application yesterday, I started printing out & reading all of the information on schedules, fees, etc. Whew!

I knew going into this that it would be quite an involved process, but it's another thing to actually read through all of the details one by one! And it's definitely humbling to add up the total cost & try to figure out where all of that money is going to come from! I'm so glad that this was God's idea in the first place, because that confirms that He'll be the One to provide EVERYthing that's needed along this journey...money, patience, debt-payoff, details of my business, etc, etc, etc!

"Do not fear, for I am with you
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, Surely I will help you
Surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
(Isaiah 41:10)

Being the planner that I am, I started thinking of what avenues I know of to come up with the moulah. Raise funds...have a garage sale...play a benefit recital (or 2 or 3?)...look for grants...take the tax credit.... Any other ideas??

Then there was another possible "curveball" thrown at me today... I was talking to the mom of one of my students today about Durango's Shared School program (her 7-yr-old son participates in it 2 days a week & is homeschooled the other 3 days). She asked me why I was asking, and when I told her that I've started the adoption process, she AND her son got excited & told me that I'd be a great mom! (I LOVE encouragement like that! But I digress...) Anyway, then she told me about a brother (7) and sister (4) in a Mexico City orphanage, who are doing very well behaviorally & developmentally, but who will likely be on the streets soon because the orphanage where they are living is going to close. The caretakers of these children are desperate to find a home for them, so there may be a possibility of greater financial assistance and/or other assistance with the process.

I've never felt led to consider Mexico before - not against it, but just didn't consider it - but when she told me about those kids possibly having to be on the streets, something inside me "woke up". I don't know if it's because I'm extra emotional these days just thinking about finally being a mom in the relatively near future, or if it was truly the Holy Spirit pricking my heart for these kids.

One thing that I DO know for sure... If God wants me to take these two into my heart & home, He's going to have a lot of work to do to prepare me, my home, my finances, my business, etc, etc, etc!!!!!! But to quote my pastor's wife, He is "the Miracle-Working, Mountain-Moving, Awe-Inspiring, Gasp-Giving God!!!" What I see as incredible OBSTACLES, He sees as OPPORTUNITIES to show His power, ability, sovereignty, and just overall AMAZINGNESS! (Is that even a word? Well, it is now... :-)

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to His power that is at work within us,
to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations,
for ever and ever! Amen."
(Ephesians 3:20)

One thing that we both thought of is that since her family will be in Mexico City for a year starting this summer (her husband will be working there for a year), I could have a place to stay with them, have help getting around, translation, etc... if/when I would have to travel there to pick up the kids. (There's also the prospect of her son having a few extra violin lessons with me too!)

At this point, I got a bit overwhelmed, feeling like we were getting the cart before the horse, and I suggested that she get additional info to me, and I have committed to pray a LOT about it!

Maybe it's that the Lord wants ME to be the mom to these little ones, but maybe He used this conversation to prompt me to "take up the banner" of prayer & bringing these kids to the attention of someone else who may be the one(s) to provide a family to them.

Will YOU pray with me?

Til next time...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment